Monday, February 19, 2007

Viral

William S. Burroughs started it, then Laurie Anderson picked it up and sang about it. I chant it sometimes: "Language is a virus."

Solid writing infects you. Feverish flashbacks to, say, Melville's Moby-Dick or Kafka's In the Penal Colony can be distressing, especially when they occur oh, at work or behind the wheel.

Basic imagery is even more unpredictable. I found Christopher Lockett's Untitled Newfoundland Zombie Project yesterday, took a gander. It's an in-progress screenplay, a zombie movie set in St. John's, NL. (Hell, why not? We've got Wal-Mart, Montana's Steakhouse and CNN. Zombies are a plausible next step.)

Diss the zombie genre all you like. I got infected. Dreamt about, yep, zombies all night. Tossed and moaned and tried to remember medieval siege techniques, calorie counts on food and just where I'd put my tire iron last. My dreams had baby zombies, and they floated, just like fetuses. Best way to defeat the baby zombies was to spray them in the face with Lysol.

Mother of two here, spraying Lysol at floating baby zombies.

Zombies are money worries for me. The Visa bill staggers up the back yard. The telephone bill strides over my parked car. The electric bill grabs me from behind.

Not sure about the baby zombies yet.

Humbling, to be infected by an image.

http://newfoundlandzombies.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your experience

Robert Hiscock said...

I liked the Untitled Zombie Project -- it's a good bit of fun.

I jealous of your dreams, zombie infested though they may be. I never seem to remember my dreams -- they're either so bland my subconscious tunes out or so shocking they must instantly be repressed. I'm rooting for the latter but fear the former is more likely.

M Butler Hallett said...

Go on, Rob. You dream about dancing aerials, disappaearing lighthouses and Madonna filming a video in Happy Adventure.

M Butler Hallett said...

My dreams are usually vivid and plotted out somehow. Lots of wandering quest-narrative dreams. Very occasionally, if I'm feverish, I'll dream in back and white.

Robert Hiscock said...

Well, the Madonna-thing's a given.

M Butler Hallett said...

Slyam, thanks for dropping by.

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress