Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"Does Big Brother exist?"

Trailer for the 1984 film of Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. This movie is a brilliant and extremely loyal adaptation of the novel ... and very hard to watch.

I admire Orwell's work greatly, and, while I acknowledge his fame, I still think he's grossly underrated as a writer and a thinker.

I wish Orwell and Nineteen Eighty-Four were no longer relevant. I wish we all could look at this in complete dumbfounded shock and recognize none of it.

2 comments:

Chel(sea) said...

It looks amazing. But is it just me or does the "big brother" resemble Hitler? haha.

I love Orwell and loved 1984.

I'm sure you've read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley as well?

M Butler Hallett said...

Hitler, guaranteed. But also Stalin -- Orwell wised up to the truths of Stalin much earlier than most of the intelligentsia in Europe. And, even more so, the mehcanics of cult-of-personality. He shows those brutalities in _Animal Farm_, too.

Yep, read BNW, but years ago. And then there's _We_, by Yevgeni Zamyatin, coming out of the USSR in the late 1920s, I think. Orwell read it and acknowledged its influence. Terrifying book.

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress