Thursday, May 3, 2007

"Poets Who Swing Both Ways"

The new issue of Contemporary Verse 2 (vol 29, issue no. 4) features "poets who swing both ways," that is, poets who also, or mainly, write plays, fiction, non-fiction. Contributors include Alison Pick, Daniel David Moses, Francine Allard, Richard Harrison, Maurice Miereau and Jane Silcott.

I lucked into this issue, kindly shoved toward submitting by George Murray, with two poems, "Demoblized" and "Meet again." Both my pieces are monologues. My poetry comes in different voices -- there's the playwright in me -- and is relentlessly narrative -- there's the novelist. Being called a poet makes me feel like a bit of a fraud, like I should own up to something, explain I'm really an escaped copywriter or a deluded English major.

Or I could just shut up and write.

No comments:

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress