Monday, April 30, 2007

Dumb luck, dumb writer

Research. Yep, thought I was good at it. Feeling pleased with myself this morning -- that should have been the warning bell -- thinking Double-blind is done-ish, when I saw that today's feature article on Wikipedia was on American military brats as a subculture. Scanned through it, patted myself on the back for getting influences and psychology in ...

discovered that the bugle call played at the lowering of the flag at 1700 hours (5:00 pm to civilians) on American bases is "Retreat."

My narrator, an American army brat who would know, says he heard "Taps."

I researched this years ago. And I still shagged it up. The novel's not gone to press, but the opening chapter was due to be printed in a sales kit this morning.

Caught it, just in time.

Dumb luck.

Complacency will kill ya.

No comments:

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress