Sunday, May 13, 2007

In my cups 2: Hava Java

Hava Java on Water Street is my favourite coffee spot. I’m also eating lunch there a fair bit, which is not fiscally responsible but is at least good for me – lunch at your desk deadens the soul. The sandwiches, available from noon to 2 on weekdays, are enormous. Red and green peppers are always available, and the cheese is real cheese.

Hava Java also has the best oat cakes in town – when you can get them. A barista told me once the oatcakes are like unicorns, rarely sighted.

Last Friday morning, my husband and younger daughter stopped in to get me a coffee, and my daughter lucked out into a free broken cookie. She came to see me with crumbs all over her face and her baseball cap on backwards: — Mama, look. The ladies gave me a cookie.

My favourite thing about Hava Java is the people. Suits line up next to scruffs. Customers are all treated the same. Unlike in other coffee shops, I’ve never been made to feel I’m too ugly to be allowed in the place.

The coffee is good, the prices are fair, and the atmosphere is kicks like caffeine.

No comments:

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress