Saturday, September 1, 2007

98 chapters

Sky Waves, my next novel, has an odd structure. The chapters will come at you out of strict linear order, but storylines as played out in linked chapters are in linear order. Each chapter is connected to the one preceding and the one following, just as people here in Newfoundland and Labrador are often connected to one another. The chapters are short and should feel like listening to sky waves, those AM broadcasts you can pick up at night from places you could never pick up during the day. And there are 98 chapters, because this novel is also a drew – that is, a row of 98 meshes in a fishing net. Historically the novel goes from Marconi on Signal Hill in 1901 to the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005. It has an ensemble feel, several narrators and narrative consciousnesses, which is refreshing to me after suffocating under first-person narrator Josh Bozeman in Double-blind. The trick with Sky Waves now is to knit the chapters together – knit the drew – so it actually makes sense to someone besides me. Slow. Steady. Lamplight.

1 comment:

JanetElaineSmith said...

Greetings! I recently signed up for Google alerts for Halletts and today you popped up here. I don't know if we are "kissin' kin" or "shirt-tail relation." My maiden name was Hallett. It is nice to see another Hallett writer. I have 17 books published--two non-fiction ones and 15 novels. You can find them by searching for Janet Elaine Smith on Amazon or go to janetesmithstarbooks.tripod.com or find out more about me at janetelainesmith.com
I will check out the book you have published too.
Oh, two of my books are based on the Hallett family: House Call to the Past and My Dear Phebe.
Janet Elaine Smith

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress