Saturday, September 1, 2007

Fully dilated

Okay, that’s a bit graphic, but when you’re giving birth, dilation matters.

Okay, okay, strained metaphor. Bite me. I’m a proud Mama, fit for indulgence. Very soon, I’ll be showing off my new "baby" – Double-blind is due to exist as copies sometime this week. It should be in stores shortly afterward.

Proud? Yeah. Scared? Completely. I’m feeling very protective of this book right now, like my baby is suddenly ready for school and has to fight its own battles now.

But also relieved. Long labour on this one. I first heard Dr. Bozeman in my head in late 2002 and started drafting the novel in 2003. I never expected this one to get published. It’s so pulpy and downright idiotic in places, which was an aesthetic risk, but the Cold War was often idiotic. Of course, that’s no excuse if the book turns out to be badly written …

Unknowns. Excitement. Bitten nails.

Come on, baby. Get born.

No comments:

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett

Spark-gap transmission / Michelle Butler Hallett
in progress